Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Maybe I started the Fire

I've already gone into detail about why I hate the Grammys. This year's edition wasn't much better. The director was on crack, Bob Dylan can't sing anymore (that was painful), they screwed up the In Memorium segment and about seven awards were handed out over the span of 3-and-a-half hours.

But it did finish with a bang.

Many were shocked that Arcade Fire won Album of the Year for "The Suburbs." A Twitter meme started, asking "Who is Arcade Fire?" Dog the Bounty Hunter doesn't know. Even a few days later, people at working are talking about it. All this makes me feel like I was on the cutting edge.

But let's be honest. Arcade Fire has been on Saturday Night Live twice. They were on the Daily Show. "The Suburbs: was high on the charts. Their music has been used in movie trailers. U2 and David Bowie are big fans. They are a staple of college radio. They're no Justin Bieber, but they aren't anonymous either.

All along I thought I was shamefully late on their bandwagon only to find I got on earlier than many.

It's been nearly five months since I bought that album and I'm still listening to all the songs religiously. I think I'm addicted. Having already covered this masterpiece in excruciating detail, I will spare you further Rolling Stone analysis. I only want to say how pumped I am that an album I liked won a Grammy for Album of the Year. Hasn't happened before.

And it's a good boost of recognition for one of the best bands still going. It's nice to be on the cutting edge of music once again.

Want more proof of my cunning? I hear a band called The Strokes is about to release an album soon. I think they have a future. You heard it here first.

1 comment:

  1. squarefoot flooring has been a retail leader in the distribution of Flooring products for 10 Years. We currently provide services in Mississauga, Toronto, Brampton, Oakville, Markham, Richmond Hill. Stoney Creek, Niagara Falls. Hamilton, Ancaster, Burlington, Kitchener, Guelph, Sudbury, Pickering, Ajax, Whitby, Oshawa. We excel in providing a quality product in order to make your dream place a reality and have won the title for “Mississauga’s 2019 favorite flooring stores toronto business. With over 9000+ options for flooring we bring you the largest variety of styles, materials and colors to select only the best.

    ReplyDelete