Sunday, April 25, 2010

Facebook history

Facebook is a refuge for the annoying. You've heard it all before, about the endless Farmville updates or Mob Wars or boring status updates like "Going to sleep."

Many of my Facebook friends are guilty of these offenses, but that has never been enough for me to de-friend them. My friends list is already embarrassingly low. But someone went so over the line a few days ago I had no choice but to evict them from the Chateau de Sears.

It was someone I barely knew in high school. She's made some political posts on Facebook before that I don't agree with, which is fine. But then she joined a group with a long title basically saying, "God, you took my favorite actress in Farrah Fawcett and my favorite singer in Michael Jackson so let me tell you my favorite president is Barack Obama amen."

That was the final straw. I even waded into the muck of that group and it was very scary, replete with death wishes for Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, etc. Just disgusting.

So, dear high school acquaintance, you were the first person I've ever de-friended in my nearly six years on Facebook. And if a certain ESPN employee whose last name rhymes with "Schaible" asks me one more time to join a live chat, she might be next.

2 comments:

  1. Did this girl's last name rhyme with Sears?

    Also, I'm not sending you personal invites you know. You do know that when people put up status updates they aren't talking directly to YOU, right? :)

    ReplyDelete