Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Gospel According to Damages

I spread the gospel of good TV.

I've converted several people to 24, Lost, The Wire, 30 Rock and Brotherhood (a vastly underrated show). The word has to get out. Too many people watch the crap that MTV defecates on the airwaves with spoiled, thoroughly unlikable Orange County cyborgs while good shows go unnoticed.

So, bravely, I take the mantle for these shows, most of which suffer in the ratings department. 24 almost got canceled in its first season. Now it's a big hit -- because of me. Lost was huge right from the start, but the others still struggle. I've done what I can for them, and now I have another gospel to spread.





You should get the DVD just for the cover alone.


Maybe you've heard of this show. I've been pushing it for a year. Damages has star power, with Glenn Close and Ted Danson. It has legal intrigue, which is always a plus. What makes this show ultimately stand out is its brilliant plot and Glenn Close, who completely nails the character of ice cold litigator Patty Hewes. The first season's story unfolded like Lost, jumping back and forth in time. Unlike Lost, however, every question you have after the first episode is answered by the end. I won't go into what exactly happened lest I spoil anybody, but the show had me vacillating all the time on whether I hated or or empathized with Patty.


It was the best television show of 2008 -- and that's saying something. I watch a lot of episodic television. Too much, if you want to know the truth. This show beat them all. Granted, I'm a sucker for legal dramas, but this is more of a psychological drama. There may have been a total of 10 minutes spent in a courtroom in the entire first season. I mention this today because the second season starts on FX tonight. You could probably watch it without having seen the first season, but it would ruin many of the surprises. Frankly, I advise all three of you reading this to rent the DVD. Just do it. Follow my lead. You won't regret it.


Before I go, I'll provide you with the show's opening. I think it's very well done. You might recognize the song if you've even been to my MySpace page.

1 comment:

  1. I heard this show is almost as good as "Two and a Half Men"

    ReplyDelete