Thursday, February 19, 2009

Good night


It was a show perfectly tailored to my sense of humor: absurd, non sequiturs and ironic. For the latter part of my high school years through college, I watched it as much as I could. I consider it one of the funniest shows I've ever seen.

So as Late Night with Conan O'Brien shuffles off, I will remember some of its best moments here. There were many.
  • Triumph the Insult Comic Dog's trip to the Star Wars: Attack of the Clones premier in New York. This is the funniest thing I've ever seen. I remember losing my breath and falling to the floor with tears spilling out as the puppet insulted the Star Wars dorks.


  • The Martha Stewart talking thing. One of the well-known parts of the show is when Conan interviews cutouts of famous people where only the lip moves. There was a run of interviews Conan conducted with Mrs. Stewart where she would calmly answer the questions until suddenly turning into a satanic demon with eyes of fire and a evil, deep voice. The first time they did this I lost it completely.


  • The Masturbating Bear. Need I say more?


  • Nosey Joe


  • Drunken Billy Joel Point of View channel.


  • Joel Goddard. The increasingly creepy and homosexual announcer who likes to scare you with his frozen smile and always enjoyed an Asian male hooker here and there.


  • Max Weinberg. This stone-faced serial pervert always had a great rapport with the host as their awkward conversations would attest.


  • John Tesh. One of my favorites, Tesh was constant fodder for parody. The coup de grace was the moment he played the NBA on NBC theme song on a keyboard in a pen of turkeys.


  • The Walker, Texas Ranger lever. What other show displayed random clips from one of the campiest programs in history? The Haley Joel Osment "Walker" clip is the leader in the clubhouse.


  • Michael Bolton. Who else could engage in a rivalry with the great crooner. This became legend for me when Conan would belt out melodramatically, "Bolllllltooooooooooonnn!!!!!!!"


  • NASCAR-driving, gun-toting Jesus. In an attempt to cater to the red state audience, he introduced this lovable character.

I could go on and on. The random, off-the-wall humor suited my tastets, and while I regretfully lost track of the show once I got a job, I'm sad it is ending. I'm not sure how much of this type of humor Conan can try in the 11:3o slot. Will we see the Jewish turtle riding a mechanical bull? Or barfing Kermit? I doubt it. But Conan will find something. He's too funny to fall flat on his face in L.A.


So on Saturday morning at about 1:30, it will be over. May the masturbating bear and FedEx pope rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment